Friday, December 27, 2013

Feliz Navidad

Feliz navidad! Oye, como estamos? 

Welcome to Christmas in Mexico! The weather is balmy 75 and sunny with 3 kings anticipated to make an appearence on the night of the 24th! haha How are you wonderful people doing? This week has been awesome! I can't believe that christmas is already almost over. It is probably the hardest part of the year for me, but I will also be sad when it is over just because I Love christmas so much! The people are nicer and more willing to hear our message. This week truly has been a week of miracles! We have been trying so hard to stay busy and spiritual everyday so that, when the moment comes, we are able to help those who have been awaiting the gospel. So to start off.... BAPTISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was such an incredible blessing, but, as it was my first baptism, I was SO STRESSED!!! First off, no one came because I had been forgetful in calling the bishop and other members of the ward... :/, but luckily her friends were able to come! it was such a spiritual experience because she has truly been waiting to be baptised for such a long time. She was all smile, but when she went to go under the water, she forgot to plug her nose... SHE COULDN'T HAVE CARED LESS! :) She was all smiles when she came out! Oh, you guys probably want to know who "she" is. She is Naheli! She is 15 and lives with her neighbors because her parents are divorced and work a ton! She has been going to church for like a year, and about a month ago she showed up in our ward and we got to talk to her. She had never been able to get permission from her parents before to let her get baptized, but this last week we talked to her dad (scary looking mexican police officer dude) and after about 10 minutes of talking to him and explaining the importance of baptism, he finally said ok!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! So we got her baptized on tuesday, but schaap had to take the pictures because my camera died....

Ok, so this story is awesome! We had contacted 2 people on friday night and we needed to contact 3 before we went home. I looked at chico and told him that we really need to talk to one more person. I look up and there is a mom, daughter, and dog. I look and chico and said "I follow you". We stopped them for a second and asked if we could take a few minutes to talk. They said yeah, but first they had to put their dog back in the house. We walked down a couple houses, and they entered the house. I really wasn't sure if they were going to come back out, but THEY DID! The mom was so kind and we started talking to her about the Family and how we really can be forever through the Help of our savior jesus christ. She loved the idea of being together forever. We also talked about the pre-existance and asked her what she expected from god in this life. She responded very simply with a smile and the word "love". I then told her that she already had that. She then told me "I want more and more and more". Elder Chico then bore his testimony about how our church has the steps to help us get ever more love from god. It was such an incredible moment, and I almost started to cry as I watch my 2 week old companion testifying of the absolute truth of this gospel. Before we left, the sister was calling us her sons and told us that we are welcome in her house whenever we want. We can't start teaching her yet though because she goes to tiangiis to sell everyday until the first week in January, but it's goin happen! 

We had the ward christmas party!!!!!!!! All I can say is that mexicans know how to throw a party! (hope that didn't sound racist or weird) It started at 5 with some hymns and a small message from our "obispo" (bishop), and then there was a skit. We then set up the tables in the chapel and everyone got seated as the missionaries served dinner. It was incredible how many people were so impatient to get their food. After everyone had eaten and we had put the tables away I just thought there might be some games or everyone would just go home... NOPE! One word: SALSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm not talking about the delicious spicy condiment haha I am talking about the dance. They pulled out a big ol' speaker and cranked it! IT. WAS. SWEET! Even though we couldn't dance, everyone else was just going crazy! And what was really cool is that they were all so different in their style and how they danced. It was like they were literally water. It was so cool to watch and I got to record a couple of songs. It was really hard for my companion Elder Chico because to earn all of his money for the mission, he was a salsa and cumbia teacher. He sat there criticing everyone's dancing and how it could be better. It was so much fun! And all the people wanted to take pictures with the missionaries! The part that made my night was that it was 10 o'clock and the second counselor stands up at the pulpit " I would like to thank all of you for coming to night to enjoy this ward activity, and I would also like to.... (I lost it at that point) and then he says "Also, I need to tell you that the party is going to end.... I don't know when, but it will probably end sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!" and everyone starting cheering and dancing some more :) haha I am pretty sure they didn't go home til like 12. We have our christmas tree up in our living room! We didn't have ornaments, but we decorated with lights and put ties around it like tinsel. I sit by it every night with the lights off and just look at it for a minute. I just love chirstmast! Also, the 12 days of christmas are AWESOME! My companion loves it cause he gets story time every night :) haha  but I am truly so grateful to have the family that I do! I am so excited to talk to them on christmas! Yes mom, i did get the package! I about cried when i read "green eggs and ham"! I am so blessed to have people like you guys (all you guys) who care about me and give me so much support! I love you all and wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! 

I truly know that this gospel is true. It will change and affect our lives in ways that we sometimes never notice or imagine. I truly love the christmas season because it is allows us to truly remember our savior and the many incredible things he has done for us. I truly testify of the atonement. It is the door that will lead us to happiness not only in this life, but the one to come! I truly know that christ is my savior and that he lives. I know that I am here in mexico for a reason and I truly bear witness that God watches over and loves each and every one of us. I love you all and wish you the best in this holiday season! FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Love Elder Norr :)




No comments:

Post a Comment